Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cooking Storage in Small Spaces

One of the biggest problems with baking in small spaces is limited storing space. As I'm in a college dorm, what little storage I have goes to clothes and other material goods - not baking. However, I've made it work. Here are some tricks that I use.

I have a drawer in my dresser that I use as a 'pantry' and goods area:

I fit (from left to right) food coloring, cinnamon sugar, sprinkles, coffee, coffee creamer, vanilla and almond extract, large plastic bags, saran wrap, aluminum foil, four, powdered, granulated and brown sugar, cookbook, salt, honey, tooth picks, baking soda and powder, corn starch, coca powder, cinnamon, rolling pin wrapped in silpat, small plastic bags, cooking spray.

 

 

And it some how still closes shut without problem. Just so you know, the dimensions are 25"x20"x5". Of course all perishables are kept in the fridge.

I also keep all my utensils (minus everyday plates and forks, etc) inside a plastic tub that I store in my closet. I could/should go to the next size up but the lid closes, so I'm not complaining. The dimensions are 14"x10"x7".

 


Pretty much everything that I showed at the beginning of the blog fits in there. The key is to stacking and layering. A deep bowl can hold lots of things and spatulas can fit under the roundness. A flat dish can hold a folded apron if you want to keep it there. Another way to organize it is by importance or by what you use more often. If you want to keep two smaller boxes, one for more used/common items and the other for less used/unique items, that would work also.

I keep my sheet cake pan, cookie sheet, and container in a cloth bag that either hangs from a doorknob or is in its true spot at the top of my closet. I could probably fit them in my drawer but this is just how I've had it.

I'm going to leave for the summer with one last treat to cool off with. Hint: cinnamon toast crunch.

Until I bake next, I'm Sarah
Peace

1 comment:

  1. No wonder you did such great jobs, look what you are equipped with~

    ReplyDelete